Sunday, May 23, 2010

who says playing computer games is a waste of time?

I have defended gaming before in a previous post, but never really had any concrete proof that gaming is GOOD, just that gaming isn't bad. Like i could still play games and still do well in my studies, because it's all a matter of time management, and non-gamers still do other stuff as much as i game such as watch tv, go out, etc.

But today, i can say one thing - I have benefited in a measurable way from gaming, more specifically, from playing World of Warcraft. In what ways? you might ask.
.
.
.


Photobucket
KACHING!!!!
WOOHOO!


Ok as some of you might know from this post, I've been trying to sell my WoW account for awhile as I'm going to uni and i'll stop playing WoW. So i advertised everywhere i could think of - HWZ forums, classifiedadsonline, friends, blog, facebookmarketplace even!

I got my first offer within a day of putting the ads up, but that person never really made any offers, and the 2nd person who offered wanted to just buy one character instead of the whole account and it complicated matters.
Negotiations broke down and he stopped contacting me.

So it's been almost 3 weeks since that last offer. And so i wasn't really thinking about it. And those who follow my blog will know that my account got hacked like two weeks ago, and only got restored last tuesday.

And it all started with this sms on wed morning.. i just woke up to go to work and was still all sleepy so i thought i was dreaming:

"Hi, I saw your account on Singapore classified and was wondering what prices have been discussed with you before. I am no good when it comes to setting prices however i can negotiate with whereever you currently have your targets set."


So i just told him about that previous offer for $400 (i would have gotten much less actually, long story) and came up with an imaginary previous offer of $500+.

Then he replies:
"I could probably go for $600 for the whole account"

:O
So at this point i was about to eat my breakfast and obviously with this kind of shocking news early in the morning i was jolted awake. So as i was thinking about what to reply him another SMS comes in:

"Sorry I meant to say 700. iPhone predictive text doesn't seem to work properly quite often"

And another SMS within a few minutes, i still haven't replied:
"However, this pricing is slightly flexible if you have any specific price you would like"


WIN WIN WIN .
Imagine jackpot machine sounds going off in my head. At this point, it was clear that he could go higher because of that 'however' message, so i said something like "Hmm 700 sounds good but i heard my account is worth about 800..." and i did some breakdown of what i had on the account to 'prove' it.

"750 is my final offer :) "


OK SET was what i said. or something to that extent. hahahaha.
so i just arranged to meet him at Serangoon Macs for the transaction, and borrowed bestie's laptop (she came along too) . So he came with this friend too, they're both aussies i think, should be expats? Did the whole transaction rather smoothly, without much conversation.

and KACHING!! I am $750 richer!!! wahahha.

So, who says playing computer games is a waste of time? I earned about $500+ from it! (because WoW has a subscription fee of about $25 a month, and i've played for under a year)

And i've learnt alot of real world skills from playing WoW too because I frequently lead my raids, so it teaches me organization skills, man management, leadership skills, etc.


And now, time to wait for July 27th for Starcraft II :)